Friday, November 24, 2023

Day after turkey and weather is falling in line

 Yesterday was very nice. Got to be very windy and then remembered looking at the app over the weekend and it said it was going to rain. Last night as I was walking back to the car after having a wonderful evening with family and delicious food, I remarked that it was windy and cloudy and was going to rain this weekend. And it did this morning. Nothing showing of rain for the next week and a half but cloudy, cool and very chilly at night.

Sure enough, it drizzled this morning. I heard the drip drippity drip of the downspout as I was waking up. It is now post or pre-rain cloudiness and windy. 

 











High puffy clouds, grey with moisture and possible rain. I should do some photo editing and take that lampost out. Or maybe move all the way to the wall and get a better picture.











Fall colors for sure. Both pictures are leaves of the same tree, despite what that leaf on the left looks like.

 










Line of mushrooms in the grass, haven't been on that side of the buildings in a while, the ones in the foreground are pretty much open and done. They are likely following the root of the trees that are there still. Speaking of trees, the Norfolk pine(s) are thriving now. Still curved but by the time those are big enough to cause a problem most of the people in the complex will not be there anymore. 











I thinned out the cauliflower seedlings along the back of the cup, just tossed them toward the jade bush. When I put the cup down I saw that two of them had landed in the soil. I thought, well what the heck, took one of them and drilled a hole in the soil and tucked it in nice and tight. I watered it as well. I did this with my most prolific tomato in the spring last year so who knows what will happen this time.











I used one of the plastic things to cover it as well so hopefully won't dry out as much (it's next to the seedling in the picture). There are still three Romaine seedlings, well two and a half oddly enough. Haven't covered them the last two nights and nothing has bothered them. I should get some fertilizer at some point though. Everything could use a shot of it right now.

The lettuces are still going good, still too small to thin out but when I do those and the cauliflower I'll just dump them out (carefully) and separate them. 

Still in a quandry about the oregano, rose and strawberry plants. I could put the oregano out in the west bed toward the back but there's cilantro there right now. I had hoped to use the window box but need soil to do that. I have so many plans for all the beds for the spring/summer planting I have to think carefully about what's going to take up the most room the longest period of time. Still have two onions to plant that haven't done much of anything really other than exist with only a single leaf still. Big difference between fall and spring planting is things are slowing down for the most part this time of year due to less heat or sun. Except for those plants that love this kind of weather like the cauliflower, cilantro and lettuce. Those are still moving slower than they did in the spring. 

Can't wait for spring  and try to plant all the things I want to. Zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, more cilantro, green onions, maybe cucumber again. If  I do a cucumber I might do it on the trellis instead to save space. Do that on the left and tomato on the right to switch things up on the rotation. That will leave enough room for other things in the main growing area AND keep the cukes off the ground from pill bugs.

When I moved one of the pots earlier in the raised bed I think a baby cockroach darted out and snugged up against the bed wall in the soil. It moved as fast as one and what little I saw from the side I would say it was. Not an earwig, those don't move that fast. ::danger music increases::

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...