Monday, December 25, 2023

So nothing to do until dinner

MERRY CALIFORNIA CHRISTMAS Y'ALL!

 Not as busy as I thought I'd be so got out to the garden and was just smiling at all the things growing now.

The weather is fine, breezy and 'sky blue' with wispy clouds. Yes the visual depiction of that light blue everyone calls 'sky blue' is real.











The camera lies in the first picture, the sky isn't that blue. Definitely getting breezier though and most of the leaves are gone on the trees. 


And another shot of the sun through hazy clouds looking like a surreal angel of some sort. Since the wind is picking up which means it will be getting cloudy later in the week and possible rain on New Years Eve. Perfect winter weather though, sunny and cool, rainy for a day, cloudy then sunny and so on. The plants just love it because everything is growing a bit faster now.











It's cilantro coming up along the side there. I saw a few sprigs yesterday and compared to the carrots the leaves are wider and shorter. I didn't plant any radishes for sure, and at the top of the right side picture you can the shell of a seed still on the tips of the leaves. Cilantro it is and boy is it coming up like crazy now!

 










Verified growing things in the raised bed (had fun color coding the names). I did see that the one lettuce that got totally munched was still there, just a stem but it was there. Not counting it though. In about a month I'd say some of the carrot hopefully will have some true leaves. The already growing potato bushes will be covering a lot more territory and hoping to get a couple of cauliflower in the middle at least. Should probably try and do a similar picture in the west bed.

So technically can't plan t tomatoes and potatoes in succession because they're related. So where the potatoes are now could be Peppers or squash. Zucchini/squash and cucumber takes up sooo much room though. I wouldn't have any room for much else. Since potatoes, tomatoes and even tomatillos and peppers are all in the same family that doesn't leave much room for anything else in the bed for the summer. Given the spacing I have... cucumber can go on the trellis where the Sweet peas are. A tomato on the trellis is far enough away from where the potatoes are should be good. Those smaller potato plants will still be going by March or April when it's time to plant summer things. I may have to give up on the cauliflower in the west bed, amend that when the cilantro and carrots are done, then put a squash/zucchini there and maybe the Poblano and JalapeƱo. 

There's still the south bed but that can't be planted with anything until at least March or April. I have 'Prolific Yellow Straight Neck' which I call yellow zucchini. The plants that I really will use and want to grow is mostly the peppers and tomatoes. I have five sweet peppers and four hot peppers and four varieties of tomatoes but one of those is that climbing 'Spoon' variety that I simply don't have the room for this year.

Time to start planning for summer now and set aside some coin for more soil and fertilizer.

Give me land, give me land lots of fertile land..... all I want for Christmas is a few hundred square feet.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...