Friday, February 2, 2024

3 days later....

Apparently the news is all about the 'atmospheric river' that is crashing into SoCal right now. We had rain almost all day yesterday that started just after midnight on the 31st. So Soggy and wet day yesterday with occasional downpours and all I could think of 'how is my garden growing?' We had a serious deluge come in this morning about the time I was thinking, 'hmm looks like it might not rain as much today and will pop down there after I get ready.' Nope. As soon as the thought left my head it clouded over and WHOOOSH! Wind, buckets of water, and at one point thunder and lightning, once almost overhead and the second a good distance off. It did clear enough that I was able to get down to the garden and check on things and I shared what it sounded like this morning on my regular fb page.

(stupid blogger won't post videos unless they're on youtube or my computer.)











Last night, which is very similar to what it was this morning and a half hour after the deluge. There were grey clouds to the east and west but yeah.











Everything is very wet and very well watered. The Romaine is just doing incredible and I suspect I'll be able to take some leaves for salad next week at this rate. I almost bought some Romaine at the store then stopped and remembered how big these were getting.

 

 









The wind and rain did a number on the potato plants. Hoping those will be good to harvest before the end of the month and then start revising my planting plans for summer. Time to consider how many peppers and tomatoes I can actually fit in.











Radishes will be ready soon also and of course the cilantro is ready any time I want to use it. The onion cuttings are doing just fine and I hope they get enough sun to take off before I need that bed for other things. Still pondering when to pull those carrots. The tops are getting really full but once you pull them, you can't replant to wait until they're bigger. Carrots and radishes galore! Maybe I need to look at a mexican pickling recipe for them. Would need some hot peppers and those won't be happening for another six months if I'm lucky.

It's very windy again now, clouds are big, puffy and visibly drifting overhead. More rain expected tonight and sporadically for the next week. Finally spring weather! I keep remembering the song from Carousel "June Is Busting Out All Over" about how, 'March came in like a lion, whipping up the waves on the bay. Then April cried and stepped aside, then in comes pretty little May' (I did that from memory as it's one of my favorite musicals and listened to the movie soundtrack hundreds of times). Actual lyrics:

March went out like a lion,
A-whippin’ up the water in the bay.
Then April cried
And stepped aside,
And along come pretty little May!
May was full of promises,
But she didn’t keep ’em quick enough fer some,
And a crowd of Doubtin’ Thomases
Was predictin’ that the summer’d never come.

Not too bad from memory since the last time I listened to it was about 5 decades ago (don't ask me what I had for breakfast yesterday though). 

Anyway, Weather patterns have most definitely changed and as a gardener we have to adapt and try to keep tabs on when and what to plant. Someone in the garden group asked if it was too early to start peppers and tomatoes inside. I was like.... 'what?' Not even contemplating starting those because they'll be ready before my garden is. Besides not having seed pellets or starter mix to do it. Something I'll have to consider next month. I need to buy fertilizer this month.

Yeah, definitely need fertilizer and seedling mix.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...