Saturday, February 17, 2024

Definitely cooler and cloudier

 Yep, high hazy but heavy clouds today and weather update says rain likely later Tuesday and most of Wednesday so that's okay. Every time I check the weather for rain I remember the year it rained every weekend for a month during the spring. I was working at the nursery and it killed business and some of our plants. Having it rain in the middle of the week when it's not so busy it much better for that sort of business.











It looks much more rain heavy than it was but still clouds all the way to the horizon and obscuring the nearby hills. I took a picture of the Flowering Pear that was...flowering, but also showing some signs of severe Scorch disease. Not my tree, not my problem.











Before and after stirring the compost a bit. Hard to do it with just a trowel and tried not to disturb that potato too much. Not that it's going to be a quality spud maker but it has a chance I think. I scraped some soil and dropped that in the back bucket for added microbes and stuff.

In the process of stirring things around I discovered a couple of decollate snails. Now, since they were in the compost that's a good thing. they are composters after all but then you have to realize they are capable of spawning dozens of babies so I carefully got them out with the trowel and promptly dropped them in the other bucket by accident. Oh well. 

 










Hard to tell on the carrots but there's some shoulders starting to show on the biggest ones and the radishes in the raised bed are also looking good. They both still have a few more weeks to go until they're ready.











Garden babies! Teeny tiny potato at the end of a root which I promptly covered up and a baby pea pod (kind of hard to see) but there are a ton of flowers on those plants!

Because it's cooler and cloudy I'm  not as concerned about watering since there will be rain soon. I may do a light watering for the lettuces which are still just plugging along.











I picked about five or six leaves off the Romaine to use in salad tonight. The potatoes are still being chewed to bits and I keep trying to save a cat food container but my dear other half thinks I just forgot to throw it away as I don't tell him to leave it. Oh well.

I didn't pull the cauliflower plants because I forgot I wanted to do that. It's not a high priority and they can grow until I need the space for something else. Something else I need to remember when tucking in the potatoes is not to push too hard on the soil. These don't need compacted soil, just a covering so the spuds stay in the dark. I keep catching myself doing that as it's habit from other plants. 

I'll be looking at some seedling soil sometime soon so I can start some peppers and tomatoes next month. The pellets work fine enough but would rather have some soil because I have plenty of containers to use. 

Ups and downs of weather all this month, but that's the way it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...