Sunday, February 18, 2024

Watering was done, garden journaling

 I discovered today that George Washington kept journals of his farming/garden. As much as he had on his mind, he kept it to the weather, what crops were doing and only garden related. It reminded me of what I'm doing here, though I do interject personal things once in a while, it's simply my garden journal. I give the weather report, what plants are doing well, what might be planted soon and day to day garden stuff.

Who'd have thought I had that much in common with our first president?

The weather today, beautiful blue sky with distant haze and fluffy clouds. Still cool enough for a sweater even in the sun but overall mild and wonderful for spring. Well our spring which is technically still winter but that's the way seasons go.


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Just my productive garden going on. As I was watering I thought about that west bed. Just about everything there will be pulled other than the chives. If I want to add a full bag of soil even the chives will need to be replanted. I would say another month to go and it will all be about done and ready to clear. Hopefully that will be at a time I will have the money for some soil to put in there.

The raised bed also will be empty in about a month or more. The sweet peas I'm counting on being there all the way to Easter at the end of March. Everything else, the carrots, radishes and potatoes will likely be ready or beyond that and the soil will be a blank slate. 

 










I noticed another seedling coming up, identical to the one in the raised bed. I am betting on it being a weed seed of some sort but am letting them grow to see what happens. They are not cilantro, nor lettuce, possibly not even carrots or radish. So weed seed it is and will see what comes up with the mature leaf.











Same leaf twenty four hours later and it is almost completely gone. I pulled off the worst chewed and left them on the soil. So that spot right there is the worst for snails or slugs. I know that's what they are because I saw a spot of slime on the nearly decimated leaf and the type of damage is positive ID.

I needed cilantro for salsa today so nipped off several stems and noticed that the shade line is a bit obvious in the main path dirt. That was taken after watering but there is a definite line between the constant shade and the sunny side. Also, mushrooms in the lawn. Wish they were edible but I do not take my chances on wild fungus. Those are growing where the roots to the trees are just under the surface (the shadow is the tree).

And lastly, I noticed this tiny sprig from the jade plant in a planter blooming. this thing is small. Just a few leaves and most likely grew from a leaf that fell on the ground. Nature is resilient and persistent like that. 

I am finding myself saving various plastic containers for using as seed trays or traps or whatever. I'm not the only one because someone else in the garden group had pictures of roasted chicken containers they were using as mini greenhouses. It's perfect really, clear lid solid bottom (likely should punch holes in the tray) but then I looked at the large container I have from some muffins I bought and realized I could do the same thing. The tray is shallow and the clear top is very tall so it would be more suited for using with another container with drainage (will share pictures another time). 

So that's all the garden thoughts and news for today. Might try and find a page from Washington's journal online.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Finally settled down a bit

 It's been a hectic week for sure and especially frustrating but have not ignored the garden. It's warming up now, for the next few ...