Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Midweek watering and more potatoes

 When it's sunny, it's sunny, when it's not it's not. Still clear blue skies today with a lighter breeze and the surface of the soil in the garden was dry enough I decided to water a little.


 First off, from yesterday, this is a lawn on my walking route. That is white oxalis not Bindweed (aka Field Morning Glory). I'm not sure whether they planted it on purpose or it was accidental but it is blooooming!  Makes me smile and cringe at the same time knowing that it is slowly taking over that yard and whoever gets the house next will be in for a long haul if they want to get rid of it.











I actually needed some green onion today for a dish I was making and trimmed off as much as I could of the onions  I had. Really was tempted to take a cutting from the ones growing in the shade but those are not mine and I know I would feel violated if someone did that to me. Oh in the west bed, at the bottom there's a line that looks like a twig, but it isn't. That is what is left over from a potato leaf I left there overnight. Completely gone. And yet the other leaf in the raised bed is withering up and still mostly there.











There are two mystery seedlings coming up near the carrots. I am thinking at least they may be carrots as those seeds are continuing to just spring up all over the place. Kind of like the potatoes.











I was inspecting the compost buckets, looked over and.... another potato sprouting in the jade. I think I remember when I tossed one over there and saw it roll under the bush. Honestly, if I had known they would sprout so easily I would have started sooner. I will be leaving that one where it is until it shows signs of multiplying. I didn't look under the bush and just bet it's sprouted without being in the ground at all so any spuds that may grow will likely be on the surface.

 
I had to actually move the potato plant in the raised bed out of the way to see the radishes, which are doing just fine, and the ones in the other bed are ending up with a red stalk. Must have planted them too shallow, still plenty of time to plant more if I want them.
 
 










Even more flowers on the snow peas and the little sweet pea I planted later is still small but it's struggling because of so much competition for roots and sun.

So before I plant the summer crops will definitely need to add fertilizer even though I did put the last of it in end of last year. So many things growing right now I'm a bit shocked and wondering what it looked like last year. Oh yeah, blank slate this time last year but later on, cilantro, cucumbers and tomatoes everywhere! Vast improvement of my gardening skills this year but timing is everything.

Hopefully this year will be peppers, zucchini and tomatoes oh my!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...