Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Flowers, flowers and rocky in the garden

 The weather today was like yesterday, breezy and clear and warm. Going to be that way for the next week or more. This is a good thing. Spring weather is being less erratic and ramping up for summer.

 


I took pictures of flowers on my walk  yesterday both at home and in the school neighborhood, tiny pink oxalis, English Daisy and more Fortnight Lily (Dietes).











I love the shape of these flowers and they're actually in the iris family not lily but they're still pretty.











English daisies are a nuisance in most lawns, I can understand if you're trying to keep a pristine lawn but they were a menace in Golden Gate park when I lived up there. Then there's this tiny little cluster of pink oxalis just all by itself. It was a lot pinker than the photo of course and you get an idea of the scale when those are regular size grass blades. Flowers are probably no bigger than a quarter inch across.











When I parked near the school I happened to park right next to a Ginkgo tree that was flowering. This is highly unusual since most trees are male as the females drop fruit that is notoriously foul smelling. Will see what happens later if it starts making fruit before June.











Full bloom of the Indian Hawthorn and the bees are all over the bushes. When people ask what bees are attracted to I tell them pink, blue and white flowers. They'll go to dandelions of course but if you have a bush like this or a rosemary in full bloom, they will be all over it more than anything else.

I cut my first three sweet pea flowers and have them in the same vase I had the marigolds last year. It's perfect for long stem flowers like these. For whatever reason the only picture I have so far is from the couch.

I'll get a better shot tomorrow with at least one more stem to add to it. The fragrance is very gentle as I sat there and now sitting at the window I realize also that the messy tree on the other side of the fence is blooming too, had to look at my previous post about it and it's Melia or Chinaberry tree. It smells wonderful too so everything is blooming right now!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Watering again and the eternal issue of water distribution. I watered slow and methodically probably for a good two minutes moved to the other bed, then came back to this and dug into the bed. Wet only a half inch down. I watered for another few minutes on both beds and checked to make sure everything was soaked well. The radish is doing okay, potted plants are a bit warm because they're in the warm sun all the time now. South bed got watered too and need to toss some lettuce seeds in there. The lettuce that has done the best is that Black Seeded Simpson. I wanted red sails but that's the only thing that survived. Going to dump a lot of seeds in that shaded bed and see what happens.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I also pulled out  and cut back the snow peas, all but one branch that was too tangled in with the sweet peas. The little watering pot is in the shade now after I filled it up. Should probably put more water in that plastic container with the log piece on top.











Ever since he caught sight of a lizard he now is coming back every time we go out for a walk. He actually saw one dart into the woodpile so he was sniffing and trying to get back behind the logs. He finally gave up and we went back upstairs. He can smell them, he's had one in his mouth twice so he knows the scent and would sit there all day if I let him. 

Good boy Rocky but you can't have those lizards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...