Saturday, April 20, 2024

Never got to posting yesterday

 You know the deal, getting sidetracked when you open the browser and then suddenly it's after 10 pm and not worth posting. The weather is easing into 'May Grey' where it's overcast/hazy in the morning, burns off by noon and then it creeps back in at sunset.  So this morning it was rather cloudy and  I thought 'oh well it was very windy yesterday so I suppose the weather man was half right. It is now 1:20pm and clear with slight haze at the horizon. It's warm.











The 'weather' tree I always get pictures of because it's so photogenic against the sky no matter what angle.











Bees are buzzing in the flowers, sweet peas are popping as well. Very light scent on those when it's so few of them. That deep maroon is the biggest plant so far with the  most flowers on it. Hoping the rest will catch up so I'll have a wonderful blend of them in my vase.











Two days ago and yesterday for the squash. I thought I took a picture of it today but only got a distance shot. That's going to be ready to plant really soon. Sooner than expected as the beds aren't ready yet.

I picked some of the lettuce leaves and actually one plant came up entirely so I may be pulling most of that Black Seeded Simpson to use. The romaine is making stalks instead of leaves so I picked some of the larger leaves off to go with the BSS, now have to make some dressing to go on them.











Unrelated pictures. I thought Layla had stuck that log in the ground in some odd and misguided attempt at growing it. She's not that insane turns out, she came to the garden after me and said it was to block a gopher because they're back. I nodded sympathetically and said there were traps to help but difficult to set them when you don't know where they'll be next. She also asked me if I could watch her garden starting next weekend for two weeks. I meant to ask her if I could pick some of her tomatoes while she's gone and maybe some of her sage and thyme.

One thing for sure, the gophers aren't bothering the onions which may be a good deterrent The other bed is just me digging to see how far down the soil was dry, looks about a half inch or so and the soil was very warm. I might water later today as I didn't because I had some food cooking on the stove.


 Rocky hunting lizards. He saw movement in the small log pile and I'm not really surprised. It just makes me smile that they are thriving in the garden and just wish a gopher snake would somehow find it's way in as well (although the gopher snake would likely eat the lizards). If Rocky was off leash he would have been in the jade bush, in the electrical closet and behind bushes being the good hunter he is. 

That wood pile in the sun is such a perfect spot for the lizards. It's shady but warm even in the winter being backed onto a south facing wall. I'm tempted to move some of the logs behind the west bed in the hopes they make their home there as well and we can work on getting that bigger pile moved for us.











Moved the other seedling containers into the full sun and as son as those are all started well I'll move it ... somewhere else. That big pile of logs right there is what needs to move. Layla also pointed to her tomatoes and actually thanked me for moving the planter box and how she took my advice on trimming her tomatoes. She nipped off a little of her thyme, mint and sage, I grabbed some more cilantro and then went upstairs tossed those into the pot with the cooking chicken and two bay leaves. Lunch is going to be wonderful. Yes I tossed the small mint and sage leaf in as well, the lettuce were wrapped in a damp paper towel and bagged in the fridge.

Those last pictures look sunbaked and definitely warm. Good for the plants but I will definitely have to water this evening. Breeze is picking up so likely will have morning fog and same conditions as today.

It's getting that time of year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

A little trimming, a lot of sunshine.

 My how the weather changes. Yesterday, barely any sun, today, nothing but since the sun came up. Perfect gardening weather really, actually...