Friday, June 7, 2024

Bits and pieces, not much else.

 It's only going to get up to about  78 today, started out overcast and in the mid 60's but due to the chainsaws, couldn't open up until they were done. They came back again to try and finish off the rest of the trees. They did cut back all the Melia saplings... not sure how much they left of those and tried to finish off the pepper tree. They didn't.











They got that far after three hours of work, chainsaw started up at 7:30 this morning and they stopped around 10 or so. You can see the three hour difference from when they started and when they finished. Overcast to clear and sunny in 3 hours. That isn't visible from the ground but I suspect they will be back because the temporary fence on the left is still there. The heat is going to be even worse this year with all those trees gone.  They worked from the other side of the fence with the truck parked in the cul de sac for those buildings.

At least we still have a tree that shades our car at the west end. But the sun is going to be bounding off those walls and roof and the pavement this summer with nothing to create a cooling effect. I dislike living in a concrete and sterile environment that this has turned into. I grew up with trees all around me, oaks mostly, but hills and trees, greenery everywhere. I appreciate desert and arid places for the diversity but I am a mountain/trees girl. Small valleys and canyons, houses tucked into the landscape barely visible. 

 










I decided to pull up the other cauliflower since the weather isn't going to stay cool for much longer. I got it inside and realized there were aphids all in the crevices and spaces so I cleaned it off best I could then decided it wasn't worth keeping and chucked it in the scrap container. The strawberry is concerning me since the stem and sepals are brown and yet the fruit doesn't seem to be red enough yet. It's pretty healthy other than that though. Will have to wait until fall to transplant it to the bigger pot.

 










The roses are recovering nicely as well, new leaves look much better. Oh that cup next to it I remembered is what I planted the rose seeds in. Still hanging on to hope there but the tomatoes and peppers are doing very well still. And the potatoes keep going. Oh! I remembered where I put my cilantro seeds! I have two little pumpkin shaped bottles I picked up, one has celery seed in it and I put the coriander seed in the other. I refilled the little envelope and scattered some along the south bed in the shade. And the lantana is looking as it should. Haven't heard or seen hummingbirds but then I'm sort of in the 'back' of the apartment. I also haven't heard any of the Bewick's wrens since they started taking the trees down. 😢

That's all for today, getting a bit depressed about it too much.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Great expectations and more invasion

 Not much in the way of noteworthy pictures so will just get down to it. It's warm this week but again it cools off when the sun goes do...