Thursday, June 27, 2024

Not much going on as usual

 Weather is gearing up for another hot weekend. We stuck it out as long as possible yesterday but turned the AC on around 3. Might do it sooner today. There were signs of intrusion in the garden today after I loosened the soil yesterday.











Different direction, different day and time. Clear skies today but it was partly cloudy early yesterday morning. The clouds cleared off by around 9 am or so and it was sunny and hot the rest of the day.

Planted the squash last night, piled up the soil a little in the middle to set it on, knowing full well it would settle flat. I 'think' there are flower buds clustered close to the stem but waiting to see what they turn into.

I think the remaining rose and the oregano is getting overwatered. Brown spots on the oregano leaves and yellowing on the rose. I  might have to just leave them be for a while. I then took pictures as best I could of the tomatillo flower and buds. What concerns me is that plant was a bit wilted when I checked on things this morning.

Divots dug in both beds where there was loose soil. Definitely not gophers and most likely skunks or cats. Everything seemed fine so I just watered really well to level everything.

 










I hope a gopher didn't decide to tunnel under that south bed and eat some of the tomatillo roots. It looked wilted and at first I thought maybe it was the heat, checked the soil and it was definitely dry. I tugged on the plant and it wiggled but wasn't really loose. BUT when I was loosening the soil yesterday there was a very loose area almost like a tunnel on the left of the plant. Going to have a conniption fit if one has returned. I know I didn't put any chicken fencing along the back so it's possible. St. Fiacre had better work some protection or there will be a fiasco in my garden.

Due to the way I water, all the perlite in the raised bed ends up in that far corner. I'm going to try and scrape it to the middle and opposite corner carefully. The soil in that bed was just soaking up the water like a sponge but there were some dry spots about an inch down so I made sure to water very well.

The jacaranda is still in f ull bloom outside my window. Foot long panicles of flowers with six or eight on the branch. Bees have been going to town on them. I'm hoping I can wash my windows to get a clearer view soon.

That's it for today and yesterday. Hope everyone else's garden is going better than mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...