Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Squeeee! Baby Lizard! And other stuff.

 Weather was warm but not too bad.... but the big news is, there was a baby lizard in the raised bed today! I have no idea how it could have climbed in there considering the sides are very slick.

Obligatory tree and sky pictures with a late picture of the amaryllis with two more blooms left to go. Wish I was a bit more nimble and could get better pictures.











Dolores (I assume) fixed the hose yay! Good as new. And I transplanted the little pepper plant into a cup. It'll be much happier I  hope. I fertilized everything again, just sprinkles here and there.

So I went out to check on things today as usual and saw movement out of the corner of my eye and had to restrain myself. A very tiny baby lizard in the raised bed! I have only ever seen one that small once or twice before in my entire life. The fun thing about them is, they are in threat mode and it let me put my fingers up to it and it climbed on (fun story at the end of this about my other baby lizard memory).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am sure that it thought it was trying to look ferocious but it's a BABY! It can only look more cute! No more than an inch long nose to tip of tail. I was trying to get some of the milipedes for it but since it was in a 'danger' situation and the milipedes were not cooperating it ignored the ones I could get near it. Finally, realizing I needed to let it go, I put it in the divot from the squash and it liked it there because the soil was cool but as soon as I moved, it skittered to the back wall of the bed. You numbskull. I caught it again and then released it on the log pile. I'm sure there's plenty of ants and termites and whatever bugs in there for it and it's nest mates and parents.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I decided to plant the other tomatillo anyway. Me and my impatience seeing empty dirt. It'll all work out and if that small pepper finally grows I'll plant that at the front of the bed. Having all nightshades in that bed is a bad thing I know but there isn't much choice in the matter. Oh! Speaking of nightshades, I had to return my knitting book to the library and of course I checked the seeds and discovered they had put out San Diego Seeds out again. Yay! There were plenty of choices but I saw they had anaheim chilies.... yeah.... my dream of having a full on salsa garden is too much to resist.  They also had basil seeds which I should have grabbed but left them. They had a new system now that they put what's available out on the clip racks and keep the actual seeds in the book some already divvied up in little envelopes. A bit more organized, and I shocked the poor guy behind the desk because I just reached through and grabbed the book. Anyway, I now have Anaheim peppers to add to my garden. Somewhere. Sometime.

 










Actual flowers on the tomatillo, of course they all hang down so it's hard to get a picture but there were at least two yellow flowers hanging out. I pinched off the buds on the smaller plant to try and get it some more growth energy. I know these plants are supposed to be bigger but will take them at that size anyway.

Oh there was a butterfly too, but again moved too fast to catch the inside color of the wings. It had big black eye spots with brown and orange, grey on the outside and internet search says it's a Common Buckeye. But the outside of the wings didn't look like they had any distinct markings. And of course I deleted the photos.

So that's the excitement for today, so happy to see the little one and hope to see more of them skittering around. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Happy Fall Equinox Y'all!

It was clear and sunny with not a cloud in the sky today. It warmed up enough this afternoon we had to close up and turn on the AC. When tha...