Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Sad and noisy day 1

 The big eucalyptus is gone and so is most of the Melia next to it. I'll have full pictures of the aftermath tomorrow when the pepper is taken down.

Gone in a matter of hours. I feel sorry for the hawks and crows that used it, the birds that used it for a perch, the parrots are going to be confused as well when they return in a few months. 











Apparently some sort of maintenance had to be done before they started up the chipper. I just had very morbid humor taking a picture of the feet of this guy sticking out of the danger end of the chipper. This was RIGHT outside my window this morning so you can imagine when they fired that up we had to close the bedroom window and everything else then ended up turning the ac on. Didn't realize when they left because we were all locked up and watching Star Wars for lunch.

I'm going to miss the hawks and parrots and doves that used those trees. They had to go though, the Eucalyptus was pushing against the fence, the pepper constantly is a mess just the other day when it was really really windy I saw a small branch of leaves fly off the euc and land on the roof of the duplex. they do have a habit of dropping branches unexpectedly. As evidenced by the one that dropped in the park.


 I deleted those pictures but still have the one of the funky branch three years ago.  

Meanwhile in my garden, again not much happening as I'm still waiting for the peppers and tomatoes to get big. I was looking for other pictures and going through the timeline, by August of last year I had mountains of tomatoes, cucumbers coming on and did I mention a few tomatoes? We also had a torrential downpour in August and pictures of roses from the gardens here.











All of these from a year ago. I was going to plant beans on the trellis, had cilantro in about the same stage as I have now, four tomatoes going already and onions being picked much too soon. Lettuce was growing also and I can't seem to get it going this time. I still need to pick up more onion seeds. Maybe I'll let the two in the west bed go to flower if I can keep my dang hands off them.

Something is still eating the plant in the raised bed. I  might go put a pot over it for the night because I watered again. I am having very lackluster results for the tomatillos and suspect it is likely due to lack of fertilizer. The peppers and tomatoes are coming along nicely and I should have a strawberry ready to pick by July. Peppers and tomatoes should be ready to plant out by then as well. Dangit, I made some plant labels with a pen and popsicle stick (literally popsicles I bought) and keep forgetting to take them down with me. I didn't get a picture but I'm going to be cutting the cauliflower before it's big enough. The florets are starting to spread out which means it's not going to be a uniform head in another day or two. Oh well. Will try and plan for that earlier in the season. Like late summer. I started mine in November and had eight, with only two surviving and one that I can harvest. So will try and do more indoor starting this year for winter/spring.











Hard to believe this was March of this year.  Just a few months ago and seems like years. Romaine and potatoes, radishes and carrots. Now....











But I still have a garden and it's working, just hard to get used to it changing all the time.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments, Concerns...

Great expectations and more invasion

 Not much in the way of noteworthy pictures so will just get down to it. It's warm this week but again it cools off when the sun goes do...